Quick Overview of Dental Implant Treatment
A Dental Implant (also known as an endosseous implant or fixture) is a surgical component that interfaces with the bone of the jaw or skull to support a dental prosthesis such as a crown, bridge, denture, facial prosthesis or to act as an orthodontic anchor. The basis for Modern Dental Implants is a biological process called osseointegration, in which materials such as titanium form an intimate bond to the bone. The Dental implant fixture is first placed so that it is likely to osseointegrate, then a dental prosthetic is added. A variable amount of healing time is required for osseointegration before either the dental prosthetic (a tooth, bridge, or denture) is attached to the implant or an abutment is placed which will hold a dental prosthetic.
What are Dental Implants?
These are titanium-made (usually), small post/screw-like, which serve as an artificial root for the lost tooth. A crown/replacement tooth is customized to match the lost natural tooth, and placed on top of the implant.
Reasons for Dental Implant
- Missing or lost teeth
- Loose or failed removable prosthesis / Bridges
- Difficulty in chewing due to missing teeth
Why choose Dental implants?
- They Preserve the natural tissues and bone around the lost tooth.
- They look pleasing in appearance and provide better speech and comfort.
- They function like your own teeth and thus make chewing easier.
- They are more convenient and durable.
- They are a long-term investment without additional tooth loss.
Steps of Dental Implants | Dental Implant Treatment in Ahmedabad
The treatment process of dental implants may require one or more surgical procedures depending on the number of teeth to be replaced. The entire procedure can take months to complete depending on patient healing and other factors.
- Comprehensive array of X-rays and CBCT to analyze the bone height and width
- Local Anaesthesia is given to numb the area
- A Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon cuts through the gums and exposes the bone. He will then drill a hole and place a dental implant post. Then the patient is asked to wait for 3-4 months for the bone to attach to the implant post and get stable. If necessary a bone graft is placed to induce bone growth.
- In the next visit, an abutment is placed over the post where the crown attaches. And, wait for gum healing which takes around 10-14 days.
- The artificial tooth is placed depending on the requirement of the patient.
Most Dental Implants Treatment is usually successful. Though failure may occur due to, failure of the bone to fuse, medical conditions of the patient, poor oral hygiene, or smoking/tobacco chewing.
Experience the real teeth look with dental implants, provided by a Team of Dental surgeons who, specialize in Implants making your visit a comfortable one. For more information and proper guidance visit Dantaah.